Re: LP-1?

On May 10, 2012, at 8:13 AM, William Walker <billwalker@baymoon.com> wrote:

> I think one key thing that is hard for people to do with an LP-1 is
> avoid the temptation to fill up as many tracks as you can with content,
> and sure enough that becomes static very quickly, I fight that in my own
> loop based music.

But I paid for eight tracks ergo I have to use them! ;-) This goes with
the need to turn on all of the pedals on the pedal board at once.

I wonder whether setting up the controls to encourage more of a phrase
sampler style would let people feel that they are using their whole
investment while avoiding the static congestion of having eight loops
running at once. (That said, Phil has my LP-1.)

> One thing you might try is confining yourself to working with just two
> loops, one providing a rhythmic base and the other being your harmony
> melody base. Try evolving the melody/ harmony track with multiply and
> replace functions, fading stuff out while playing new content on top.
> track speed etc.

This is actually how I used my pair of EDPs for quite a while. I would
actually keep the evolving loop one set to 0% feedback much of the time so
that it was basically just a long delay. In my experience, I really just
need three feedback levels — 0% (long delay for self duets/canons), 100%
(basic loop build up), and something in between for loop evolution.
Continuous pedals are arguably overkill and less simple to control though
I could see wanting a knob somewhere to adjust the middle value.

Mark

P.S. The signature sound for the LP-1 (besides the eight stereo loops at
once wall of sound) is almost certainly scramble.