Re: Looping has feelings

Thought it was great too Matt as well as the whole discussion.  I wanted to comment and thought no I wouldn't re Buz's train of thought.  For years I knew nothing of looping, played in a solo guitar style ala my influences.  As that music grew with me a lot of it had natural repetition, almost akin to a form of looping organically maybe.

I came in to this community seeking some new inspiration and exploring the possibility to see if technology could expand me, my music.  I would say some good things came from it.  I've tried several different setups, technologies and at times I think some good comes from it but at times in my case I think I'm guilty of what most of you would call just 'riding on the back of the truck' meaning just improvising over a passage but not necessarily doing creative things with it.

I began this year feeling that I needed to return to a focus on the guitar and less improvised more composed or perhaps as it's gone a combination of the two as the process clearly helped me grow.

I still feel there is a sense of looping going on in some of my pieces from the repetition standpoint and at times particularly in a couple of newer pieces I'm trying to think that way, to try to have a figure going in my tapping or left hand and alter the picking or do something else if I can physically orchestrate it.  I still love the technology, particularly the reverse envelopes and such and need to think about how I want to use it.  I think in reality I"m just continuing to explore the idea of how much technology feels right for the music I make.  I certainly have grown from the standpoint of friendship and support in all of you plus I have loved being part of the looping festivals and hope to come this fall even though I may have to be creative about how to present myself.

Jim