Why Looping has been good for me.

Well, the things looping allows me to do can't be done by having other musicians to play with. I'm interested in layering sound textures with the earliest layers falling away in a sort of multi-level, sonic stratification. Being able to steer the music this way and that is for me a deeply satisfying process full of spontaneity and creativity. Having said that, looping, while it is highly empowering, really does come with a big responsibility, looping with another, sensitive musician in some ways is even more enjoyable since you then have an increased element of surprise..
You might have guessed that I'm not the rhythm, bass, chords, jam type of loopist.

Peace

Gareth Whittock, sound artist: garethwhittock.co.uk