Re: Reconnect with your music.

Strategies for recharging one's musical creative batteries:

1). Change you listening habits, perhaps by listening to something really
different and unfamiliar and try to learn to feel, analyze, understand,
and even enjoy it from the inside out. Get inspired.

2). Attend a live performance of someone really, really good, but outside
your own musical domain and (similarly to #1) try to learn to feel,
analyze, and understand it from the inside out. Get inspired.

3). Play with new people - this should be obvious - either ones that are
much, much better than you, or ones that are not yet at your level, either
way can have benefits (learning or teaching).

4). Get outside, mow the lawn, paint the fence, plant a tree, rake the
leaves, even just taking a walk can change one's outlook and perspective.

5). Stimulate the mind with other ideas and/or other input, go to a
museum, read a book recommended by someone, turn off the TV and internet
and visit an antique store, read a magazine or newspaper from 50+ years
ago, or to radio in a different language than the one you speak.

6). Visit a different neighborhood, perhaps even a place of worship other
than one you might ever frequent - not as a believer, seeker or joiner,
nor especially as a critic, but as a respectful observer of humanity in
all it's forms. Pay special attention to music and other ambient sounds in
these places.

I am sure there are others, but one or another of these always seem to
work for me.

Ted