Re: OT: How to mix guitar/synth/drum machines? Guitar DI vs Amp?

Two advices I have been given for the issues you bring up:

1) Avoid mixing two sounds that carry a lot of information in the same
frequency band/bands.
2) Avoid combining musical parts that play a similar musical role.

Now there are of course musical styles that make it more or less easy
to follow the above. For example reggae music is always dirt simple to
make sound good because the style in itself draws on sparse, heavy and
complimentary arranging. Typically an instrument doesn't play when
another instrument plays but rather in between, and that almost fully
addresses the "muddy sound" issue. But then there is phenomenons like
rock music which draws on the opposite, that many instruments shall
play at the same time in order to create a summed orchestral timbre.
That's a bitch to mix! The only trick that works is to listen and
balance frequency bands of all instruments (mixer routing solutions
like level side-chaining is also used here). Often, in aggressive
sounding music, the ghost tones are as important as the played tones.
With "ghost tones" I mean that extra vibration you hear when combining
two notes that is a bit off pitch with each other. This area is really
delicate and you really have to listen carefully to bring out a sound
that works. If taking away too many ghost tones the music loses
vitality and becomes lame but with too much stuff overlapping becomes
noise.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com