Re: Keeping your sets interesting

hmmmm, I agree and disagree with some of the suggestions.

1) Learning how to improvise is a big one. I think some of the best
sets combine improvisation for a while and then move into songs.

2) Introduce variation to your "songs": When it comes to listening to
live music, it's important to me that the band does NOT just play the
same songs the same way each time. One of my favorite bands did this,
and I stopped seeing them after 3 shows. I still like 'em, I just got
the impression that I'd already seen what they were going to do. The
last time I saw Zoe Keating, I noticed that she presented different
arrangements of the songs from her CD, and I thought that was really
cool. Consider playing them at different tempos, energy levels and
with different sounds.

3) When using improvisation - be responsive to the space. Think about
how the feeling of the venue that night can affect your set. In some
occasions, this can be your response to the situation, rather than
fitting in. For example, if I'm playing on a bill with a bunch of
really spazzy musicians, I might decide to play a really focused set,
because that's what my ears want at the moment. On another occasion, I
had some outdoor concerts during last year's tour, and I did my best
on some shows to imitate the sounds of crickets and cicadas. You could
also do something like saying "I see there are 5 people in the front
row, so I'm going to try playing something in 5/4."

4) Don't be bashful about engaging the audience between songs. Tell
them a little bit about what you're doing. It takes away a bit of the
"musician with a mysterious box" element, and could get them listening
more closely. However, remember how intelligent they are. If it's an
audience that's familiar with looping, telling them that you have this
amazing trick that makes sounds repeat will not go over well.

5) Audience Participation: I'm going to disagree with Daniel and say
it depends on the situation. It may work ok for events where everyone
is already standing, moving and dancing. If it's an event where
everyone's in chairs, it doesn't always work well. I had a girlfriend
once (no - seriously!) who would hate a performer forever if they told
the audience to clap their hands or sing along. I kind of agree with
her.
http://www.theonion.com/articles/oh-no-performers-coming-into-audience,2685/

6) Dancers/Video: Really, there is no cure-all. Throwing dancers and
video onto an otherwise dull performance won't save it. I'd go back to
my first 4 points and some of the other suggestions.

--
Matt Davignon
mattdavignon@gmail.com