Re: Keeping your sets interesting

On 2/27/12 10:40 PM, kay'lon rushing wrote:

I feel as though my stuff will get boring mighty fast during a performance. I get quite bored during sessions sometimes. Any tips to keep it fresh?

Contrast, Contrast, Contrast !!!

change up your tempi from song to song

change up your time signatures from song to song

change up the density of your beats   from very, very sparse to very dense

change up which progressions you use or intersperse harmonically rich material with material
that has only one scale in it's entirety

change up the timbres you use, both in individual song arrangements but also from song to song

change up styles.

If you are very clever about sound choices and sound design and really learn how to juxtapose different sounds with other sounds that make them stand out in stark contrast you will
not be limited by a laptop midi system.

If you can't use acoustic sounds with your sound card, then utilize vocoded sounds.

Switch up between sampled acoustic sounds and synthetic electronic sounds.

Write from the drums up
Write from the melody down
Write from the harmony outward
Write from the keyboards up and down
Write from the bass line up.

there are some approaches that I try to use.

rick walker