From: "Dennis Moser" <sinsofmachaut@gmail.com>
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 1:22:50 PM
Subject: Re: BBS format

Christophe,

In "paper" circles, when folks use the term vellum they're usually
referring to the qualities that one often sees in true sheepskin
vellum; in leather/book conservator circles, it's usually referring to
calfskin.

The problem really stems from the history of the material's
production. "Vellum" comes from Old French:
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=vellum
…and refers specifically to calfskin.

"Parchment" is much older (hence the above reference to "vellum" being
a type of parchment) and is derived from a couple of Graeco-Roman
terms all derived from the name of the Greek city, "Pergamon."

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/parchment

Fun stuff, when you start making your own from scratch …

Best,

Dennis
http://soundcloud.com/usrsbin
http://audiozoloft.com