Re: Do We Perceive Beauty in an Unexpected Context

I see a few different issues at play here.
1. as a society and individuals we don't build in the time to our schedules to allow for the unexpected. I have an hour's drive to work and I seldom leave an extra 20 or 30 min early to allow myself the time to stop and admire that hawk in the tree, or the sight of the ice breaking up in the river that I cross.

2. An entertainer, if he/she wants to achieve some level of success, you have to be sensitive to some of the needs of your prospective audience. It's really not fair to complain that people don't stop to listen when you know that they have trains and appointments to meet. There was a time in my life when I used to do a lot of busking and I can tell you that the subway at rush hour is just a bad choice as a location to play! As I'm sure that most here that have day jobs would concur, "I'm late because I stopped to listen to an incredible musician play at the subway stop" is just not an acceptable excuse to be late. For most us, our lives are ruled by the tyranny of time. As a busker I learned to play at farmers markets or craft shows, someplace where the majority of people are not restricted by schedules and appointments. In that situation being in a unexpected place can really work in your favour. I used to perform at a wood show where the vendors are selling wood working equipment, wood crafts and well.... wood..... I was approached by the organizer because he knew that I built my own dulcimers and so could talk with people about instrument building as well as playing the instrument and providing some musical entertainment. I sold over $4,000.00 in recordings and got several bookings out of that weekend. If I could have lined up even one show like that every couple of months I would still be doing it.

3. there is another issue here that I have observed and that is that the busker is not generally seen as an entertainer but as a beggar. I have stopped people and gave their change back to them when they just swoop past and drop some money in the basket without listening. I told them, I only want your payment for the music you have listened to, then you can decide what that music is worth. Several years ago I heard a commentary on the CBC radio that lumped buskers in with panhandlers and I sent them this as a response:

"I took great offence at the commentary on the six o'clock news cast this evening(march 5/ 97). I am a hammered dulcimer player (an ancient musical instrument) and most often make my living busking and selling my recordings to people on the street or at farmers markets etc. And while I do understand the point that was trying to be made; I do not appreciate that buskers are lumped together with panhandlers. LOOK IT UP; a busker is an entertainer who performs most often on the street or some other public area and is paid directly by those who appreciate their work by putting money into the hat. I regard this to be one of the most honest forms of entertainment because you only pay for what you enjoy. How many times have you paid your hard earned money to see a show or musician and ended up hating it? I and most other buskers that I know have worked hard for many years to bring our performance level to a place where it can be displayed in public, and see busking as a viable alternative to performing in bars or clubs. It also could be argued that we enhance the city by bringing our art directly to the people instead of keeping it only for those who can pay. a panhandler on the other hand is someone who begs; and though they may not be seen as having somthing to contribute, they should be given both our compassion and our respect. It wouldn't take to many more government cuts to put anyone that you or I know into that position. Anyone can end up as a panhandler but it takes years of hard work, dedication to your art and to a philosophy that art belongs to everyone to be a busker. So PLEASE do not confuse people by talking about buskers and beggers as if they are basicly the same."

Respectfully,

Paul Haslem
www.dulcify.ca
Ontario, Canada