Re: Re: To those who make a living off of music

I totally understand it. I was a music major for about a month in
college. While learning the theory was good, I also found it was
taking out the sense of wonder that's a major appeal of music to me. I
decided instead to be "self-taught".

Even though:
--I never learned to read music, which is like being an American who
doesn't know English
--I never developed the muscle accuracy that many musicians have
--I don't know the chords or advanced theory
--I knew I was giving up on the idea of being a professional musician

...I felt that if I knew how it would all worked, it would cease to be
interesting to me. So instead, I took one piano class to teach me some
nuts and bolts, then went out on my own, so to speak.

I'm still glad I did, because:
--I still think music is interesting.
--I got to spend the same amount of time focusing on the elements of
music that fascinated me, like sound color, using different sound
generation techniques, saturation, etc.
--I don't feel like I'm competing with other musicians on a continuum
of best to worst. [Not saying that most people do, but it's something
I used to do, and I didn't measure up too well.]    :)
--In many cases, the things I don't know in music are opportunities to
explore at my own pace, and only if I want to.
--I like the idea of musicians having different skill sets and areas
of specialty.
--15 or so years in, I can honestly say I have a unique sound
identity. Not good or bad, necessarily, but I definitely sound like
me. That's the kind of musician I hoped to be when I got started.
(Though younger me thought I'd be more technically proficient.)

--
Matt Davignon
mattdavignon@gmail.com

> Kaylon went:
>>
>> Thanks man. I ask if you survived because the question popped up when my
>> english teacher said he first went to college for music but said that it
>> stripped all the fun out of it for him so he changed his major.

Then Rick Walker was all: