Re: Re: Troubles recording vocals through bass octave effect

Alright, after 3hrs of work last night, I think the problem with the bass rattle is related to the computer.  While researching bass synths online I put on Spotify and lo and behold, as I was listening to some Jimi, I started to hear the faintest rattle/ringing through my Sennheiser HD380's.  I then went to YouTube and put on some Victor Wooten - and bingo!  The rattle was there.

I was unplugged from the wall and in a room with no other music gear...I was probably 6-8' from anything electronic...I didn't even have my phone there.  When I use the same cans into my iPod, no issues with the bass ring/rattle.

When playing at home in real time, I always use the monitor out of the Blackjack, so the signal gets to me before hitting the computer, hence why I don't hear it while playing.

I have no idea if there is a "solution" to this as it appears the computer will not only create this interference, but include it on playback (so recording a dry track and using a plug in to create the bass part will probably yield similar results).

After figuring this out,  I went back and created a new bass vocal patch on my HD500 to better replicate what I was hearing on a studio album of Son of Dave after finding a recent pick that showed him using a Behringer Ultra Octaver for bass lines live.  It took a while to get the controls of the POD HD down and find a clip of just the bass humming.  The key for me was using a compressor into the bass octaver and keeping the dry signal up to about 10 o'clock.  I used a Fender Twin amp emulator with no speaker cabinet...I will probably switch to the studio tube preamp model when the next update comes out.

On the cans I was able to mix a strikingly similar bass sound to the album, and played against it as a backing track.  Yeah!  However, I can't record it as I get that bass ring/rattle.  This afternoon, after work, I will try the new patch through my K10's and adjust for live use.

One win and one loss last night.
Mike Fugazzi
vocals/harmonica
http://www.mikefugazzi.com