mp3.com (was no editors = bad art)

Mp3.com's cloud cd listening system had little to do with their
service of hosting mp3s for artists and bands. I'm not a fan of the
RIAA, but with that service, mp3.com was attempting to monetize the
works of artists and record labels who had not signed any agreements
with them. (By offering an online copy of the cds you own, and selling
ad revenue on that website.)

By releasing it under the same website name, they made the whole ship
susceptible to RIAA. It was pretty sad, because the community there
was getting to be just as strong as the community here on LD.

I had forgotten that before that whole ship went down, I had received
checks from mp3.com because people had downloaded or played my music.
Not much - I think the biggest one was like $7.00. But still, it was
pretty cool, considering I offered the music for free.

Matt

--
Matt Davignon
mattdavignon@gmail.com