Re: where are freedoms as musicians are going... ACTA

Am Donnerstag, den 19.01.2012, 10:18 +0100 schrieb mark francombe:
>  Just to be clear.. I dont know too much about this issue, but is ACTA
> the UKs version of SOPA? Seems like it?, or Is it Euro-wide...

ACTA, the Anti Counterfeiting Trade Agreement is worldwide and, unlike
SOPA not restricted to online piracy. One consequence in the "real
world" would be huge restrictions in trading medicine, which is not
copy-protected in some states e.g. Mexico and India, but can't be
shipped via US waters because of ACTA. Consequences will be fatal
limitations in health treatment in countries depending on cheap
medicine.

A friend of mine did a nice video (in German, but I will try to get it
subtitled) to describe consequences for authors and artists:

http://www.137b.org/?p=584

Another problem is, that the text is not discussed openly, but it has
been leaked several times:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Counterfeiting_Trade_Agreement#Consolidated_text_.E2.80.94_March_2010