Re: OT: Music suggestions?

Great taste!

Sigur Ros, Boards of Canada, Mum, Low, Efterklang - some of my favourites there. Sigur Ros especially. They remind me time after time of just how amazing music can be. Their singer, Jonsi, has a solo album under his own name as well as a side project called Riceboy Sleeps. The latter is a really beautiful ambient album, the former is a kind of explosive, twee, almost kitsch pop version of Sigur Ros, which sounds awful but is actually quite brilliant.

Others in a similar vein: Godspeed You! Black Emperor, My Bloody Valentine, the Verve's first album A Storm in Heaven.

On a more rock 'n' roll theme I've been listening to a lot of Television lately. Marquee Moon and Adventure, two fantastic albums with some really incredible guitar work from both Richard Lloyd and Tom Verlaine. Of the latter Patti Smith supposedly once said that "Tom plays guitar like a thousand bluebirds screaming." I desperately want to be able to play guitar like that man! Check out the solo on the song Fire from Adventure from 3:30 onwards. Amazing.

Also, as an almost on topic aside, Alan Sparhawk from Low uses a Zvex Lofi Loop Junky. (I know that's just about the most primitive looper going but it's also one of the most fun!) Not unrelatedly, he also has the most fantastic live electric guitar tone I've ever heard.

For a more 'world music' kind of thing, my guitar teacher's band Zun Zun Egui are pretty good - and madcap verging on chaotic!

Cheers,

Philip.