Re: OT: Music suggestions?

Electronic/Ambient music:

--Oval/Microstoria: Markus Popp is one of the biggest influences of
"digital errors" sounds that have been a staple of electronic music
for the last 10 years. Check out "Systemich" or "Dok".

--Atom Heart is frustratingly hard to find online, because he's
anti-mp3 and almost every album is released under a different band
name. ut he's done lots of fun stuff with combining minimal techno
with different genres of music - especially latin music and jazz.
Check out the band names Senor Coconut (latin covers of kraftwerk &
pop songs), Los Samplers (latin music), Midisport (Brazilian music),
Geez 'n' Gosh (gospel), and Flanger (light jazz).

--Biosphere is my favorite ambient artist. For a straight up great
ambient album, check out "Substrata" or "Cirque". His Shenzhou album
is made almost completely from Claude Debussy samples, and is one of
my favorite records of all time.

--Alog's early work is very good. "Red Shift Swing" sounds kind of
like Tortoise meets Oval. "Duck Rabbit" and "Catch That Totem"

--Rapoon's music finds a formula that works and sticks to it. Most of
his records are asymmetrically looped hand percussion samples with
reverby drones and middle eastern vocal samples that fade in and out.
That description makes it sound like new age music, but it's a lot
darker and moodier.

--Murcof combines minimal techno with classical music samples. Very
moody but also relaxing. Try "Martes" first.

People with Songs:

--Efterklang: I'll second Rick on this one. They combine modern
clicks/cuts electronic techniques with songs and "small classical
ensemble" instruments.

--Pram: One of my favorite bands. Their first few albums sound almost
like a 90s hippy jam band, but including sampler and theremin. The
singer is very charming. She sounds like a mom singing to her kids.
Their later albums are less hippyish - relying more heavily on the
sampled elements, but still just as whistful.

--Laika: An ambient pop duo from the mid/late 90s. Their first 3
albums are all very good. They usually have a few songs in odd meter
too - like in 7/8.

--Stina Nordenstam: Swedish singer-songwriter with a very delicate
voice that sounds like melting snowflakes. I recommend her record "The
World is Saved".

Instrumental Music:

--Master Musicians of Bukkake: Experimental/psychedelic music with
lots of "world music" influences. Not the typical stuff either - there
are elements of gamelan, Malian taureg music, Turkish stuff, etc.

--Seefeel: I like their new self-titled record a lot, even if all the
songs sound the same. Kind of a slow lumbering rock approach, but with
computer glitchery taking the place of guitars.

--Kammerflimmer Kollektief: Kind of an instrumental rock/jazz hybrid,
with a lot of electronics. I like their earlier records better than
their later records. A similar listening experience to Tortoise, but
with a different sound.

--Triosk: An electronic jazz trio, with piano, guitar and drums.

--Ethiopiques: This is a music series of Ethio-Jazz and traditional
music, mostly from the 60's to early 80's. A lot of this stuff is
incredible. I recommend starting with volume 4 (featuring Mulatu
Astatke) and/or volume 14 (featuring Getatchew Mekurya).

--Solyst: A new percussion/synth duo that does spacey instrumental
music. This is probably my favorite record of 2011.

--
Matt Davignon
mattdavignon@gmail.com

marcus kirby <marcusloops@gmail.com> was all: