Re: Liking/Disliking your own music

Quoting Ricky Graham <rickygrahammusic@gmail.com>:

Take up golf. You'll like looping by comparison.

LOL! There is truth to this and I can think of some parallels between golfing and music-making.

1) Golf: Not every hole goes well but the good ones keep you coming back.
Looping: Not every moment goes well but the great moments keep you coming back.

2) Golf: there are plateaus. One becomes stuck on a plateau if one makes no changes in one's approach. Looping: A single approach to looping can be developed and refined however the law of diminishing returns sets in. If things don't improve, then it may be time to change something.

3) Golf: Manufacturers advertise that the latest club, ball, etc... will improve your game. Looping: Manufacturers advertise that the latest gear will make you sound like (fill-in-the-blank-with-celebrity-performer).

4) Golf: the ball flies further with a relaxed swing.
Looping: a loop that evolves over time in a relaxed manner can go further and gain drive and intensity over time -- a loop that starts at 100% energy can only go downhill from there.

5) Golf: Is good exercise.
   Looping: not so much.  :(

6) Golf: It is usually possible to shoot from the rough.
Looping: Though the first iteration of a loop may not go as planned you may be able to develop it into something great. (i.e., play the hand that you've been dealt)

7) Golf: The source of frustration is ego. The ego generates anger when I don't par every hole. The ego fully expects the game to go as well for me as it goes for a pro (who practices for hours every day and likely has natural golfing ability). Looping: The ego tells me that I must prove to everyone within earshot that I am a hot-shit musician OR ELSE! If I fall short, the ego tells me that I've FAILED!

8) Golf: A 150 yard shot that lands in the fairway is better than a 250 yard shot that lands in the woods. Looping: A thoughtful, communicative performance is better than a perfunctory display of physical prowess (i.e. "dazzling technique").

I could likely go on with comparisons. However, I believe that we have conflicting voices that speak to us: the ego and the "inner voice".

The ego is the taskmaster that expects one to project an inflated self-image. The inner voice is the voice that says, "You are ok just as you are."

The ego tells me that I've "already arrived", thus closing off opportunities to learn, grow, and experiment. The inner voice tells me that I am a growing human being -- a work in progress. The inner voice enables me to have a "beginner's mind".

We all have egos and we all have an inner voice. To distinguish them is useful.

This is a great thread and I've enjoyed reading all the comments.

-- Kevin