RE: Liking/Disliking your own music

I love all the responses, thus far.  It might be worth asking, "What is It
about this piece that I like?" and then make a conscious effort to
duplicate
that the next time you're playing.  Ted's response is particularly poignant
and rings true in many ways with myself. I (solo or with bands) have always
built a buffer time into the setup and play experience, to come down from
being roadie and critic and get back into the role of entertainer and
artist.   Not that artists aren't critical, we often are.  But sometimes,
especially during spontaneous creation, there needs to be the focus on
dwelling in the moment, the joy in the process.

For an exercise you might want to try NOT recording what you're doing.
There is no critique session, no post-analysis. Just you, your instruments,
your heart, soul and muses.  Let yourself be one with the music and the
process with the knowledge that this is for you and walls to hear and
remember.

My guess is that at the end, you may actually wish you recorded it ;-)

~peace~

Mike

www.michaelplishka.com
www.scribbledmusings.com