Re: LP2 Random Retrigger - Quarter/Quadruple Speed

Rick Walker wrote:
On 7/22/64 11:59 AM, andy butler wrote:..
about my use of 1/4, 4X function in the LP-2:

"Sure, but the way *you* use the speed change while building up layers is a lot more interesting that the more common technique
of "do a loop then half speed it", and I reckon that 1/4
speed works much better used in your way. "

Well, I used it in a more experimental way............I notices that if I kicked the presently recorded loop down to 1/4 speed at random places, then I could play a really rapid set of notes in a burst..............

there's a track on your Dayglow Green Plastic album done with electric bass
which is pretty much an object lesson in the use of half speed
(on the DL4)

building up overdubbed layers at the 2 speeds

right, so where does that rapid retriggering (stutter) sound
come from? ...and I thought I heard those getting looped too.

Well, the unit does to Retrigger (continuous) so I probably used that as well.

hmmm, but 'Retrigger continuous' in LP2 speak just means a single retrigger
that doesn't stop after one loop.

about playing ostinato rhyms with the new Random Retrigger function:

"so it really needs a smooth loop for that to be perceivable "
Exactly..............this technique works best if you use non-transient oriented loops (i.e., ambient styled, if dense timbrally)

Sonically it's 'Scramble' but with a user input rhythm.

First thing to try with your brand new LP2 is Retrig Random
while Overdubbing.

Wonder how long it'll be before someone wants it Quantised ;-)

andy