Re: WHY - multiply?

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 12:22 AM, Grant <grantmepeace@mindspring.com>
wrote:
> Do you usually specify how much to multiply by (vs just letting it
> continue to extend until the multiply function is deactivated)?

I have discussed this with other looping musicians and there seems to
be no approach that is more used than the other. Myself I do both,
depending on the musical situation. When I do an Instant Multiply I
first decide on how much longer I want to make the loop, and of course
no additional layers are created as it is just an instant button press
(same when doing an Instant Devide to shorten a loop in a blink). But
when doing traditional Multiply I play along and add a new layer in
real-time until I have played through what I feel would make a natural
length for the new loop/part, then I kick Multiply to set the new loop
point at the next upcoming quantization cusp.

I remember back when Loop4 was released for the EDP, it added the
option to press a number of times on the Multiply switch to decide in
advance how long you want the real-time Multiply process to go on. I
did not like that function, as I wanted to play along to get a feel of
the musically fitting new loop length, and unfortunately I often
happened to kick in this new command when I was going to use Multiply
to cut down the length a long loop to just one cycle. I found no
"undo" for that error and no way to disable this new feature either,
you were just stuck there - can't say it was a favorite ;-))

A creative way to use Multiply, on loopers that support it, is to end
Multiply with Record to cut down the loop's length to a value between
the cycle quantize value. When looping with multi channel loopers I
sometimes use this on one of many parallel loops and typically cut
down one loop to a length that goes well poly rhythmically with the
other loops - like for example if playing in 4/4 you cut down one
parallel loop to 3 beats and let it play along with the other loops
that spin on 4, 8 or 16 beats. Just a simple example, anything goes.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com
http://www.youtube.com/perboysen