Re: Why...?

william middlemiss wrote:

An 'artistic statement' in itself? as if to say "I DONT NEED NO STINKIN BAND!"

:-)
It could be an escape from all those things that band members
do.
Particularly rhythmically.

A way of exploring new rhythms?

Could be part of it.

A loop device won't
1) lose track of the beat if you play against it.
2) overplay if you ask it not to.
3) look blankly at you if asked to play something
unlike it's usual repertoire. ....which we all experienced from band members

A loop device can
1) play any time sig, ( and without having to hit every sub division).
2) play a rhythm that fits without hitting the same accents as you.
3) drop out when it suits the music.
4) play a contrasting musical statement when asked . e.g. allows the juxtaposition
  of amorphous loops with tight rhythm.
5) go along with anything you can imagine, every time.
....which humans often don't

However looping devices are incredibly limited rhythmically compared
to what is possible with humans.

A human can 1) shift tempo with you...or for you
2) pick a counter rhythm which makes what you're playing sound better
3) compensate for you if your timing slips
4) surprise you
5) push you
....which generally a looping device can't do

so looping offers a freedom from restriction,
but brings it's own limitations.

andy