1st Night of the Y2KX+1 LoopFest

We had a really nice first night of the festival tonight.

It was the best attended show we've ever had in San Jose at the Anno Domini
Gallery (thanks to a superlative publicity campaign by Steve Uccello).

Bill and I started things off and had a really nice set together.
Nat Grant said it was really wonderful because we played so effortlessly.

Per Boysen came next with his new beautiful, small red Stick.
It's the first time I've seen him perform with it and it was a really beautiful
and very musical performance.

Next up,  newcomer, Patty Stucki (playing under the moniker Eela Soley)
did a very beautiful set with voice, alto saxophone, silver flute and bamboo
flute.   She has a very nice combination of darkness with some strong
3rd world (especially middle=eastern) influences melodically. I really enjoyed
it.

Next Hideki Nakanishi (aka Mandoman) played what was, for me , the most compelling set I've seen him play in his numerous festival appearances. He really mixed it up, playing very rhythmic pieces with ambient pieces and also included some really nice
Daxaphone playing as well to take it into an abstract direction.

Georgina Brett came next. I really like the direction she is taking, mixing long layered loops of vocal, completely eschewing anything I've heard people do in the A Capella looping world. She's doing fascinating work by singing lines with out any consonants in them and going back in and overdubbing the consonants. It's a really unique approach that fascinates me. Her set, unfortunately, was plagued with feedback though and the sound from the P.A. was continually frustrating to her so she ended early. I felt bad that she had a hard set and promised her that we will set things straight, sonically , when she plays the main festival on Sunday. She is really as talented as all the buzz about her, as well as being a really sweet human being (who treated us to an amazing home made vegetarian
soup when we got back from the venue) and I look forward
to hearing her have a happier set on Sunday night at 10:00.

Nat Grant finished off the evening with a very interesting and evolving set mixing all kinds of interesting percussive textures. Her set was easily the most avant garde of the evening and I, personally, loved it. The synchronicity between what she was doing and the beautiful Loopy Cam work of Maha Taitano really created a great atmosphere. Tim Thompson, Loopy Cam's inventor has graciously taught Maha and I how to use the Loopy Cam and also lent us the high powered computers to project it at the festival. Tim will be doing his own set with his new amazing visual
and audio invention,  the Space Palette, at 6:00 on Saturday.

I walked on stage and played some non-looped Sonica (which is a 60's invention that combines a diatonic touch strip with organ like sounds) to accompany Nat's final minutes of her set.
I just love how this artist thinks so it's always a thrill to play with
her.

At the headliners concert with Andrea Centazzo (Italy) and Matt Davignon, Nat and I will combine the
end of her set with the beginning of mine with a couple of improvisations.
I'm really looking forward to that (right after Santa Cruz Vice Mayor, Don Lane, presents the
"International Live Looping Day" proclamation to the headlining artists.

For the first time in many years (due to a miscommunication on my part with the Luggage Store) we actually have a day off tomorrow and then the main festival begins on Friday evening.

It's a strong lineup this year and we'll even have a world technology premiere to end Friday evening's concert by the Sennheiser Research Lab of Palo Alto of a Wireless Midi/Microphone Controller used with a portable live looping rig.

We came close to showing the LP-2 Mini Looper and Bob Amstadt is actually going to miss the festival (after having provided sound for us tonight) because he's home all weekend assembling LP-2 to begin mailing out.
I can't wait to get mine.

Okay................the whole house is full of snoring loopers and it's probably time for me to hit the hay!

Rick Walker