beefing up diatonic instruments - was: OT: 5/4 challenge

Rick Walker schrieb:
On the 5:55 track I programmed the polyrhtym 5 against 4 using the limitation
of the diatonic tuning in C of the music box.
Of course, as we're all using these strange loop things, here's a concept to escape the limitations of diatonic tuning. You need: a looper which has more speed settings than normal/half/double. I personally use Mobius a lot, but something like e.g. an Eventide TimeFactory, Lexicon 84, EH SMM w/Hazari etc. will also do fine (Rick, I would expect the LP-1 can do this as well?)

Sticking with the C Ionian (major) example, play a melody into the looper. Then do a varispeed, and get any of the chromatic pitches you desire...depending on which speed factor you use, more or less of them (e.g. 3/2 original speed = 5th up = you get an f#, 4/3 original speed = 4th up = you get a Bb etc.), which you can then use againts the live-played diatonic instrument.

Now to wrestle this back on topic regarding odd time signatures: the loop does not only change pitch, but also tempo. So if your loop originally had a length of two bars (let's stick with the 5/4 example - that would be 10 4ths), after shifting it up a 4th, it's now 10/(4/3)=15/8ths long, but if you played a quarter note before, this is now a dotted eight.

So play your original two bar melody into the looper, varispeed it to 4/3, and continue playing your original melody on your diatonic instrument - polyrhythm and chromatic tonality from a diatonic instrument all in one looping box!

      Rainer

--
http://moinlabs.de
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/moinlabs