Re: LOOPING a DRY CLEANING SHOP

Am 02.10.2011 09:13, schrieb andy butler:
Rainer Straschill wrote:

In fact, you can turn any sound into any sound using only linear processing

now, is that right?

http://www.dspguide.com/ch5/4.htm

...of course, that's only a nitpick about the term "linear"
Your nitpicking is always welcome, Andy...but here's what I learned in school.

A system is linear, if for a function describing it f and input functions x, y (which can be vectors or whatever), and a scalar a, the following holds.

f(a*(x+y))=a*(f(x)+f(y)).

This is true for the things we know (with recent accuracy) for home stereo amplifiers, delays, EQs. It is not true for distortion pedals, guitar amplifiers etc.

Now there is proof (and I don't want to repeat that here, but it goes somewhat via Feldtkeller and Richardson) that every linear system can be seen as a combination of delays, adders and amplifiers.

Soooo...where does that contradict your link? None of these building blocks are in that article's "nonlinear" category.

--
http://moinlabs.de
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/moinlabs