Re: GR-55 (Re: What is Boyson doing exactly?)

Per Boysen wrote:
BUMMMER! GR-55 can not merge MIDI! MIDI coming in over the MIDI In
port is not merged into what is sent out through the USB MIDI Out
port. Oh well, guess I have to buy a USB adapter then.

Hrm, I was hoping they'd fix that on later models, but it doesn't look like they did. :(

Frankly, Per, I was trying to do the same as you with the VG's USB interface. I finally dropkicked due to the following:

1. I'd also tripped over the lack of support for MIDI merge. So if I were going to need a merge box rather than daisy-chaining the devices, I figured I might as well just plug the MIDI directly into the audio interface.

2. You can't use the VG itself as an audio interface for your computer; it's simply impractical. Whenever you switch programs on the Roland, it mutes the output for *all* audio going out its audio jacks. HUGE design flaw, IMNSHO. So if you're looping on the computer and need to switch patches on the VG, there's suddenly a half-second mute of everything including the loops you've already recorded. Hell, even if you're merely using nothing more than a reverb or delay plug-in, you're going to hear a big gap in the tail as you switch patches.

3. I found that the timing felt "tighter" using the S/PDIF output into the computer. I perceived the USB output as being a bit loosey-goosey, almost as if there were a bit more latency added there. I'd imagine that may be because of the digital clock sync via SPDIF. Or it could have completely been a perception and bias thing. I dunno.

Regardless, when I discovered I needed to use two cables regardless (either MIDI + USB, or MIDI + S/PDIF), I decided to chuck the USB. Of course, YMMV, but you may want to compare USB audio against merely running the S/PDIF directly into your Audiofire to see which you prefer.

        --m.