I do note that Roland appears to still not believe in feedback on loopers, but if you are mostly using the loopers for backing tracks that may not matter nearly as much. Though even for backing tracks, half-speed and reverse would have been nice -- but they cost buttons.

Mark

P.S. I would be interested in anyone's comparisons of the Roland Rec/Play/Dub + Stop button pairing v the Line 6 Rec/Dub + Play/Stop pairing. The Line 6 approach seems potentially better in that you can exit record into either overdub or play.

On Sep 15, 2011, at 7:01 AM, Paul Richards wrote:

Seems like a mega-RC30 (which I just purchased) except for the 16 effects rather than 5 on the RC30. And 3 stereo tracks rather than the 2 on the RC30. I'd bet the prices will be the same as the discontinued RC50 ($499.00 USD).

I used the RC30 for the first time yesterday for about an hour and am favorably impressed. Without maximizing gain settings, etc., I was able to generate some nice loops for improvisation background. I usually only use guitar and percussion so two tracks per loop works out ok for me. I like the fact that I can plug my miked guitar amp output right into the RC30. I had been using a 'Rang II until recently, btw. I like the fact that I can save my loops for later, further development or just jamming without having to come up with something to play with all the time. To my workflow, I think the Boss overdub is more fluid than the 'Rang (I hated the long press for the overdub which I muffed more often than not - maybe it's my toes). All in all, it's an interesting, fairly full-featured unit for $300.

Anyway, if the RC300 follows suit like the RC30, it should be a great addition to the looping tools universe.

Regards, Paul

From: van Sinn <vansinn@post.cybercity.dk>
To: "Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com" <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:32 AM
Subject: Re: GEAR alert: new Boss looper RC300 loopstation ...

Benoit Ruelle wrote:
>    * Three stereo tracks with dedicated footswitches and controls for each
>    * Dedicated fader per track
>    * _expression_ pedal for effects control in real time
>    * Up to three hours of internal recording and 99 onboard memories
>    * 16 onboard effects optimized for looping
>    * XLR Microphone input with phantom power
>    * USB storage; import/export WAV files
> Not a revolution, rather an evolution.
>  ... and other gear too:
> http://www.rolandconnect.com/
>    Ben

Looks quite nice and complete.

It doesn't seem to allow audio via USB, so those (like me) having everything else in a 19" rig will have to run audio cables across the floor.
Would've been nice only needing a bundled MID/+USB cable across the floor.
Anyone seen the manual?  I didn't; maybe my eyes needs a checkup ;)

Also, does it allow extending an already recorded phrase, or whould this be done by recording on one of the additional loops?

Though the RC300 is fairly large, I could live with this next to my Rocktron All Access (a decently compact almost square footprint controller with three rows of PC/CC buttons) plus the two swell pedals.

-- rgds,
van Sinn