Re: Roland gr55

Per Boysen wrote:

Many thanks for the great sound programming tips for the GR55!

Glad to be of help!  :)

The only caveat is that most of my programming experience is on the VG, rather than the GR. However, from what I've seen, there are tons of similarities regarding the two architectures, so the tips should translate directly for the most part.

I only
have one GK pickup and it is on my SG-12, the one on the picture at
www.stick.com. And yes, that instrument is bamboo. The SG-12 is a
quite different instrument than the Grand Stick; I like it better for
playing but I will try to avoid selling the Grand because I sometimes
need its sound for recordings.

The SG-12 is a sweet little instrument. If that model had been available when I ordered my Alto, I very well might have gone for it instead!

And, yes, I agree: keeping the Grand around for different tonal options is a great idea. That's one reason why I've kept mine (even though it's been in storage the past few years). It's got the ACTV-2 pickup on there in addition to the GK, which gives it a very open and acoustic sound; nothing at all like the PASV-4 on my Alto, or the Stickup I used to have on my old carbon-fiber "Darth Vader" 10-string (the one that was stolen, grrrrrr!).

I'll pick up my GR55 on Friday and there won't come a GK with it, so I
think I will stick to Stick GR-ing. If getting a second GK I think I
will rather have one also on the SG-12's other fretboard than on a
guitar.

That should be a nice setup. You can then choose which 'side' you wish to run through the GR-55. Or, of course, you can always get a second GK-compatible device and run them both simultaneously <*evil grin*>.

Your tip about using input level as a modulation source is no less
than awesome! I did that a lot when I had a TC FireworX and it is such
a powerful live sound design technique.

Yes, I thought I'd remembered your helping Bill out with a couple of FireworX related questions regarding that, which is one reason I thought of mentioning it. The cool thing, though, is that you don't have to limit yourself to applying it only to effects processing. You can use it to shape the design of the instrument itself.

Can't wait to hear your impressions.  Let us know how it goes.

        -m-