Re: Roland (was Old Guitar Synths)

Mark,

On Sep 1, 2011, at 7:20 AM, Mark Hamburg wrote:

> On the other hand, one of the things that holds me back from picking up
> a DD-20 + SL-20 combination is the thought that I'm going to get
> frustrated with something stupid Roland will have done somewhere.

Can't speak about the SL-20, but the really dumb thing to me is they
topped out the max delay/loop time on the DD-20 at 22 seconds - a number
not easily divisible by anything but itself, 2, and 11.

If they had upped it up to 24 seconds they would have had a max loop time
that was divisible by 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, and 12 so you could take full
advantage of that maximum length in those 5 memory slots for very musical
time signature synched delays.

The 3-digit LED display only does a few (not enough) decimal places to
usefully punch in accurate divisions of time for 22 seconds - so I usually
set the longest delay on 20, the next on 10, 5, 2.5, and 1.25. Or
sometimes I do 21, 14, 7, 3.5, and 1.75 seconds

It's a small thing, but really dumb to have maxed out at a mathematically
un-useful 22 seconds but only provide a 3-digit display to dial in
subdivisions.

That is my cranky about Roland gear thought for the day.

:-(

Ted