Re: Bandcamp "let fan name price"

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 9:16 AM, Louie Angulo
<louie.angulo@googlemail.com> wrote:
> With all that said,do you think is still worth it putting out a
> physical CD with all its expenses,artwork,packaging etc. or just go
> the digital download route?

Well, it seems to still remain one good reason left for making CDs:
promotion. But since no one is buying CDs, what should you then
promote? The answer to that must be yourself as an artist brand. And
CDs may open up for getting good gigs, radio plays and further
placement in media like films, games etc. In economic terms I'd say
that you have to calculate with using as much money as the pressing
plant costs for stamps and envelopes to send out free CD's to
reviewers and concert programming groups. If pressing discs costs USD
1000 it might be worth it IF you also spend another grand for PR. And
on top of this come all the working hours as well.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com