Re: questions for loopers

Hi John,
I'm also pleased that "live looping" is of interest for your PhD research.
Here are my answers.

1) what aspects of looping do you enjoy the most?
The "istantaneus" capability of the tool both for improvising and composing

2) what aspects of looping do you enjoy the least?
...maybe ...learning curve ?

3) what looping tools (including controllers) do you currently
use/have used in the past?
1992-2003
- midi looping trough sequencers
- various delays,
- Lexicon Jam Man,

2004-2007
 Electrix Repeater,
- Boss DD-20,

From 2007 till today:
- Mobius software working as a plugin inside Bidule (the Host)
FCB 1010 Behringer (midi footcontroller), nanoKontrol (hand controller)

4) what are the strengths of these tools?
I consider Mobius as the most complete and customizable looper.
Based on the architecture of the glorious EDP, Mobius is a stero multitrack looper fully customizable using "scripts" (more info: www.circularlabs.com).
Bidule is the host where I make all the audio routing work "to" and "from" the looper, addressing various fx plugins

5) what are the weaknesses of these tools?
Sometimes when I desider a new function I post a question on this list and on the Mobius forum and magically it becomes real and available.

6) do you modify a loop once it's been created? if so, how?
Yes, I use:
Half-speed
reverse,
pitch-shift,
multyply
divide
shuffle
slip
as some of my preferred ways to change the shape of the loop.

7) how much planning do you do for a particular performance?
As much as I can.
Since my intent is to play pre-composed songs, I need to plan in advantage what I'm going to play and "in" which track it has to be located.
Scripts triggering special behaviour of the looper (mute track 2,3,7 at the same time of a crescendo in track 1 and 8) need also to be planned and reharsed.
Panning is also an important factor
At the beginning I write down a paper of the song with all the relevant data and then I find a way to locate all loops over the 8 tracks (including next loop), and work on scripts to change "scenes" of my loops playing.
Then I start reharse and record it to see what could be improved and study how to do that (that means, also, thinking to pan position, changing level of the loops ecc..)
After all the technical issues are solved I continue with daily reharsal working on flux, dynamics and expressivity.

8) what form does this planning take? (do you write it down, keep it
in your head, etc)
See above.

9) at what level of detail do you plan? (melody, harmony, timbres,
dynamics, instrumental techniques, etc.)
See above.

10) describe your general approach to loop performance.
Try to connect with the audience trough music.

11) what would the ideal looping system look like? describe it in as
much detail as you can (and don't worry about practical concerns).
See above (question #4)

12) any additional comments?
Thanks to you

-f