Re: OT: more Logic hell... this time .. control assignments!

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 10:01 PM, mark francombe <mark@markfrancombe.com>
wrote:
> Interesting things to try here.. thx as always Per... a question of terms
> here.. when you say Apple Loops... Is this what I would call "midi
> loops" as
> in the premade loops that come with Logic, for use in their synths?

Might be. Apple Loops behave like audio clips that can follow tempo
and be transposed. But here comes more to complicate it: There are
green and blue apple loops. The blue is and will forever be just audio
loops but the green apple loops can be UNPACKED and then gives you the
instrument setup originally used to create that loop: The virtual
instrument, its channel strip loaded with the right effect plugins and
a midi region on the track to drive the notes. This is nifty if you
find a green loop that you like but that you wish would have "just a
little less compression, distortion" or whatever. Drop it on an
instrument track to set of the UNPACKING.

> What of
> "Samples" as in audio files.. can I not transpose these in the
> "timeline" (I
> tried destructive editting in the sample editor and found this less than
> usefull, as I had to re-launch the project to Undo!!! I come from a PS
> world
> where Acid was so intuative for manipulating audio... I just chopped up
> my
> sound file on the timelime, and added or subtracted semitones per chucnk
> "play" the sample.. Logic surely has a way to do this, but im damned if I
> can find it!

That's exactly how it can be done in Logic as well!
- Scissors tools: chop, chop.
- Marker tool: select slice, or bunch of slices with the shift button down.
- Hold down mouse over the Transform field and pick the new pitch.

Per