Re: Sound vs function

Email from custom tones this morning (thanks to WIlliam Walker's endorsement ;) ---

"We will contact you when your Ethos is ready--the estimated ship date is May-July 2013."

Heehee... Maybe it's one guy in a garage, but it's also epic mythmaking - love it :) The upside is that by July 2013 I should have nickels enough set aside to pay for it :)

Phil :)

Yeppers just tell em old billy sent you and I will watch the $ roll in.  I'm not sure about myth making, but as you probably know there are a number of pedals on the market based on the overdrive channel of a dumble overdrive special amp. (a couple of fancy abalone shell covered numbers from Japan are uber expensive),  I own a zendrive which is made by hermida audio  and is an excellent pedal, and has been a keeper for me since before I got the Ethos. ( i run it in front of the ethos sometimes and they work great together). To the best of my knowledge the Ethos is the only pedal that truely addresses both channels of that legendary amp. add to that a cbinet simulator output and it really is a two channel amp in a box, simple,  easy to tweak and reliable. I've played a total of 4 dumble amps in my lifetime, and I can attest to why guys like Larry Carlton and Robben Ford, and Stevie Ray Vaughn and David lindley, Eric Johnson,  Carlos Santana and a host of LA studio cats past and present have owned or own these amps. Heck my friend Ty Porter, the original Doobie brothers bassist has one, and for all I know it has sat idle in his studio for 20 years. Great  clean sound, and a singing dynamic overdrive sound, built to last forever. And contrary to popular belief, they don't make you instantly sound like Robben Ford or anyone else for that matter.  The reason they are so valuable is because they are so rare and because they sound so good. my ethos sounds great in front of a wide variety of tube amps, equally at home in front of fender, vox, and marshall style amps. it cost $400, if you could find a real dumble amp, you would need to add two more 0's. The interesting thing about boutique overdrive pedals is interesting things happen to highly prized ones, when they go out of production. Prices can double and triple. To wit. I've owned two Klon centaurs before, an original bronze one with the centaur decal, and a later  silver one without. They are great sounding but pretty large in size  for what they do. He has stopped production, and coincidentally Jeff Beck has been quoted as using one. So now they are fetching prices of $1000 and up. They were just under $200 originally.  I wish I had the forsight when owning them but I do now. I think both the Ethos and the Zendrive have a good chance of that happening.
Bill
 Bill