Sound vs function

I'm a huge tone snob. I love the natural warmth of guitar -> amp, but I also love effects.

I have a whole hardware rig set up, but I still feel limited by inability to reroute patches / automate paramaters.

Enter software.
Something like pure data looks amazing for effects, and ableton makes perfect sense for looping. The ability throw various effects on a particular loop, then fade that in/out with one command really entices me.
BUT: Computer-processed music always seems to always have a low-end sheen to it.

WHAT TO DO?