Re: Something I just wanted to share with everyone

My 10 kroner on this thread is just to add that, much as every single thing that Jason said is of course true, it just aint fair that everyone gives money to U2 and not to me.. or any of the millions of clever creative musicians, thats just the way it is.. and I just wanted to point out... Thats the way it has always been!
The only difference is that now you can publish your work from your bedroom as a finished product through the biggest record shop in the world (the web) and your music has exactly the same chance of making you the next U2, the next Lady Gaga or the next Arctic Monkeys as everyone else.

There have always been marketing budgets to place an unfair advantage on the few lucky buggers that get deals, its just that now EVERYONE can afford to release that first single (or album or trilogy or month long drone piece).

Now that of course means that the low level bar has come up a bit.. you're swimming in a fuckin muddy pond now, but it doesn´t really change anything other than make it even MORE important to get a record deal and a major label, cos the local indies are basically making nothing.

As a consumer however... phew... what a fantastic time to live in... I stopped buying the big bands 15 or 20 years ago, when I discovered house music and the dance community, there was just too much underground good stuff to peruse... Ive been doing what Jason said, buying all you guys stuff, plus the weirdest fucked up electronica from people that are so obscure their mums don't know they make music...

I think there was a smidgeon of sour grapes in Jasons video.. from a gone off old wine that I think we all know the taste of, if we are honest. But as someone else eloquently put it, if you just like making your music and dont care if you get famous, you are gonna be happy whatever, and bloody overjoyed if you do!

Mark

--
Mark Francombe
www.markfrancombe.com