Re: OT: Motorpsycho & Jaga Jazzist Horns "Tristano"

I can fill in a bit of background here.

Both of these Norwegian bands are considered "serious" musician bands, but from widely varying backgrounds. Motorpsycho have been around for about 15 years, are form Trondheim, and started as quite experimental "noise-rock". Infact they used to have a non-musician member of the band playing noise and sounds. He went on to get the first ever PhD in "Noise" here in Norway and is now more known as Helge Sten or the main man behind Supersilent. Moterpsycho progressed to be a little more mainstream, but always considered clever and accomplished. I have seen tham play 3 times and they have always been phenomenal. Infact the first time Cranes played in Norway, we borrowed al their amps and drums, and the band introduced us to illegal home made spirit.

Jaga Jazzist are based around the Hjortvedt Brothers, and are a bit too Jazz for me personally, but I have seen them live a few times and they are an immpressive ensemble of about 8 to 10 musicians, combining jazz with electronics. they´re sound is characterised my a quite calm and laid back Jazz overlyed with the aggressive and hyperactive Drum and Bass of the drummer Martin Hjortvedt. They have done more than any other single band in promoting new and exiting jazz in Norway, resulting in excellent funding for both jazz and experimental outfits.

This album caused quite a stir here when it came out, no one even knew these two monsters knew each other... I bought it immediatly, and its not for me, but WOW how I respect all these guys...  all of them have thriving careers in film-music and TV soundtracks and commissioning works for festivals here in Norway and rightly so.

Mark