Re: filters

Oh, come on - everyone knows that the correct way to use a FS1R is not to use filters, but to change harmonic content via the operators - quite simply, change modulation index for cutoff, modulator relative frequency for steepness, and use a second operator pair for a resonant-peak-like behaviour (and a modulator for the first modulator for distortion) ;)

of course.  it's right there on page...er...wait a minute.

i love yamaha.  they build some of the coolest shit.  but they dropped the ball on the documentation of the FS1R.  bad-ass machine, piss-poor manual.

Seriously, though, as some already pointed out, there are quite a few (free) editors for the FS1R around, like this:
http://synth-voice.sakura.ne.jp/fs1r_editor_english.html

i've got that one.  i guess i need to spend more time with it.  it doesn't appear to like sharing midi ports w/ bidule.  kinda clunky.

Envelope follower in Reaktor: use the detector circuit from the compressor contained in the library as a starting point. Or, much better, simply connect an ADSR to the filter's frequency input and trigger that with the MIDI notes which also control the FS1R (and use the same notes' note number on the filter frequency input for keytracking).

i know there's so much power locked up inside reaktor...i just don't have the time to really dig into it.  it would take forever before i would be able to build anything even remotely as useful as the commercial filters mentioned above.  i'd rather just buy something that already rules ; )

But then again - why would you want to get a subtractive-synth-type sound from a FS1R? Wouldn't it work better if you used some other synth from the start (just wondering)?

not sure i was thinking about it in those terms.  i just have a sound in my head and i know that filtering is how to achieve it.

Another hardware-domain suggestion (I know, I suggest that one every time): Nord Micromodular. Small and relatively cheap, you could use it as an effect on the FS1R's outputs (or rather some of its outputs). And you got nice multimode filters, and the possibility to use MIDI-triggered envelopes and key tracking right from the start.

nah, the pros of software outweigh the pros of hardware.  i'm sure that a sherman filterbank absolutely destroys the best software but that's loot/space/i/o i ain't got.

thanks for all your input.

- jim

        Rainer

james fowler schrieb:

thanks, guys.  allow me to expand/clarify:

i'd like to filter the sounds of my FS1R.  it has filters but they either don't do what i want or i can't figure them out because the manual sucks and scrolling through sub-menu after sub-menu is enough to make anybody's brain melt...not to mention taking the fun out of it.  i'll invariably end up using it on my obi matrix and roland mks-50 which both feature limited filters.  i'd like something with an envelope follower (lots of them don't do this - the filters in reaktor don't, for example).  i'm resolved to fact that i need to shell out some $$$ for something worth having but wanted to make sure i'm not barking up the wrong tree trying to find a respectable piece of software.

i'll give those three a shot.  thanks for the input.

- jim