Re: Video to MIDI

Yeah I've been looking at that.

I work with some programmers for visuals who have been doing a lot of interactive visuals (everything Kinetic to imagery, to stylus pads, dmx, etc), and are currently working on a program that works with taking some of my midi output and providing corresponding visuals that are reactionary to various midi values I've chosen.

I'm thinking it would be fun to take this, point it at the blank screen in the room, start getting a little bit of midi from visual created just from ambient lighting/shadow shifts in the room, maybe low enough to capture the heads of folks.  Send the MIDIfromVisual signal to the program we're developing, which converts the MIDIfromVisual notes into a different kind of imagery projected onto the screen, which is picked up by the camera and converted to further MIDIfromVisual notes, which is... etc... loop ad infinitum.

I'm thinking either you could have fun seeing what happened til a feedback loop crashed everything with too much thickness, or, with the proper tweaking (time limit on any imagery created, ie fading lines, etc, that this software has could probably keep that from happening), seems you'd have basically self a self generating audio/visual machine.

Might be fun to take the audio feed from that into an actual setup and slice/mangle it into a nice texture that's connected, but less directly, with the imagery, no?  Seems it would then be less obvious in it's connection of visual to overall sound, but still pulse with the proper kind of rhythm, if that makes any sense...

-nn
http://soundcloud.com/happyhumans