Re: Looping with a Netbook?

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 5:55 PM, Rainer Straschill
<moinsound@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Core2Duo is a Core microarchitecture - with the "duo" variants all being
>2
> cores, no hyperthreading.
> Core i7 is a Nehalem or Sandy Bridge microarchitecture - with 4 to 10
> hyperthreading cores, and various other improvements.
>
> It stands to reason that this will produce much better performance...the
> clock speed plays a minor role. In fact, the 2.2 GHz Sandy Brige will
> outperform your 2.2 GHz Core2Duo by a factor of about or more than five
>(*).
>
>         Rainer
>
> *: given a task, a software and an OS that can make use of the additional
> cores and hyperthreading architecture.

Thanks for filling in the technical details, Rainer. Actually my 2.7
i7 is the one with just two cores, the 13" MBP from Apple (not sure if
my software can run it as four virtual cores). We recently did a test
here with a Swedish Studio magazine and found that the bigger MBP (15"
screen) with four cores qualified at three to four times better
results than its Core 2 Duo predecessor. The Sandy-Bridge box runs
those four cores as eight virtual cores in Logic/Mainstage. For my
needs the two-core 13" is good enough. For researching corresponding
test results for a Windows based machine I think the Live Forum thread
has a lot to give (see previous post).

Per