Re: looping software query

Hi jon,

I have had good experiences from running the Mobius looper as an AU
plugin inside Mainstage. I set the tempo for the rig by starting to
play and snatch a first loop in Mobius, Mobius then sends out MIDI
Clock over Mac's the IAC bus that Mainstage watches to follow tempo.
That way I get all the MS effects working in the same tempo I'm
playing, rather than having to play at a pre defined tempo.

Blending in pre recorded audio this should work fine with MS's
Playback plugin; it can be used both for tempo dependent loops that
get timestretched to match MS's tempo and for tempo floating loops. I
have not used this much myself though (as I like to let both
composition and sound design happen on stage as you go).

Before settling with Mainstage I used Bidule as the host for Mobius.
Bidule also has a File Player module, but not with optional tempo
follow/time-stretch as Mainstage. Before Bidule I was using Ableton
Live (back in the Live 5.x days). Live can be a bit difficult
graphically because the interface shows almost everything up front -
meaning you constantly lose graphical focus of what you're doing -
while in Bidule and Mainstage the routing power awaits you under the
hood and you set up in graphics more or less exactly what you need an
no more than that.

Another software looper plugin I like is Expert Sleeper's Augustus
Loop. Good thing with this is that it allows seamless loop
speed/length transposition, rather than pitch being quantized to half
note steps as with Mobius. But for me Mobius wins because it allows
you to switch loops as they are playing and also arrange your session
by creating complementary loops on parallel tracks.

I also like the French Logelloop. An eight track looper built for Mac
in Max that can host VST and AU plugins. The great point for me is
that all its mixer settings can be saved as "presets" (or rather "snap
shots") that you can jump between. In this you can set the value for
how slow the morphing of all mixer parameter's values shall happen as
you change preset, and this includes loop speed/pitch!!!! I have not
been able to get Logelloop running stable on any of my Macs but as
soon as this happens I will bring it out for concerts.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com