Re: R: portable PA for electronic looper...sub bass

Rick Walker wrote:
> On 7/22/64 11:59 AM, luigimeloni74@libero.it wrote:
>>   Maybe in the future I'll complete the system with a
>> couple of subs, since I've tried the PRX ones with a bigger system
>> (the 635,
>> 1500 watt three way) and i've been really impressed.
>>
>> Luigi
> Dear Luigi,    Due to the large size of the sine waves in subsonic
> frequencies and the relatively small
> distance between our ears, human beings actually don't hear low bass in
> stereo.    Even phasing
> is mostly imperceptible because the waves are so large.

Sure, but that actually refers to the 20Hz-40Hz range.
When the term *sub-woofer* was coined, it covered the range
*beneath* that of a woofer...the lowest audible octave.

These days you need to check the frequency range....almost
anything with the name "sub-woofer" is really a woofer.
Certainly anything sold for small PA use won't go below 40Hz.
(and is more likely to roll off at 50Hz).

Sometimes it's not possible to tell where the woofer is, but
then it's also true that it can be difficult to locate
the source for any frequency if it isn't accompanied by a transient.

The cheaper the sub-unit, the slower it will respond (less transient),
 and so it's going to be harder to hear where it is.
When the transient for a bass note comes from a small speaker,
and the low frequencies come later from the woofer the Haas effect fools
us into
locating the sound as if it came from the small speaker.

andy