Re: portable PA for electronic looper

i tested the roland cm-30 against these (Mackie SRM150s), and the cube were the winners, for me. rolands are 6.5', so more low end.

2011/4/25 tEd ® kiLLiAn <tedkillian@charter.net>
Michael,

I have used a pair of  alone for small art gallery or living room gigs with no problem at all.

In situations where a full-size PA would've been total overkill they perform just fine - and they really weren't particularly made for it.

True, they won't give you that huge, butt-shaking, "tectonic" low end.

But they are plenty loud in a small(ish) venue.

Think of them as 150 watt mini Mackies with high-quality 5.5" speakers housed in something the size of a lunchbox and that fits atop a mic stand (if you want to put them up where people can hear 'em).

I must mention one caveat though, as long as you are getting your tonal "warmth" via other means (plug-ins or hardware devices) you are okay, but I did find these things slightly cold (too clean and flat) for straight, plug 'n' play guitar amplification.

Also, brand new they are too expensive (to my thinking) but I picked both of mine up used (but mint) on Ebay for about half of what they go for new.

I asked around for all sorts of advice before I bought them and a number of people tried to talk me out of spending my money on them.

However, they've worked out quite well (I think).

If I had to do it again, I'd buy 'em all over again.

A big plus is onboard EQ and 3-channel mixing too.

Cheers,

Ted