Re: Tuning ethnic instrument

On 7/22/64 11:59 AM, mark francombe wrote:
> Directed mainly at Rick, but anyone else wanna chip in..
>
> Ive been tuning my Saz (Baglama,) its been a while and I cant remember
> the tuning. Its a 23 fret Baglama, and as such my book says G D A..
> however I cant pull the strings to that tension... either the strings
> will break, the tuning pegs or my fingers...!!! I have an alternative
> tuning hear, that is supposed to be for a 19 fret Saz,  A G D.
>
> Now heres my question... one string tunes fine to any pitch, smoothly
> and easilly, Now is that just cos that string is lighter... or is it
> because the peg hole is somehow smoother.. is there a trick with..
> Oh.. I dont know... rubbing oil / wax / Linseed oil / Semen?? On the
> peg?
>
> Any tricks from the teepee?

Wish I knew but I don't.     I have a saz that has always had tuning
problems.

I have heard that a lot of both saz and oud players have replaced their
pegs with
either viola or cello pegs but have never tried that.

It stands to reason as they are , of course, going to be well made.
My instrument sounds
good but the tuners are shite.

Let me know what you learn.

Rick