Re: (OT) More on Radiohead

At 2011/02/24 04:40 AM, mark francombe wrote:

>NO!! I LOVE Indie pop... (not sure if it being
>called pop or rock helps at all?) Im not a huge
>fan of the somewhat dreary moany whiny indie
>music, but I love the noisy, messy distorted
>happy sounds of 80īs indie. Bands like Lush,
>Wedding Present, My Bloody Valentine, Blur,
>Moonshake, Silver fish (maybe more grunge?)
>Ride, Primal Scream,The Smiths, Jesus and Mary
>Chain, Does anyone remember the very wonderful Fire Engines?

Great list - never thought of most of them as
indie pop but I guess that makes sense.

>Im realizing now that Ive quoted mostly (or all)
>English Indie bands, and when I think about how
>it sounded in the US, (REM, Pixies) was never really "indie" sounding to
>me...

Interesting that REM and Pixies make your list of
US indie bands.  I've been making my way through
this book "Our Band Could Be Your Life: Scenes
from the American Indie Undergound 1981-1991"
http://www.amazon.com/Our-Band-Could-Your-Life/dp/0316787531/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298566879&sr=8-1

These are the bands covered:
Mission of Burma
The Minutemen
Black Flag
Husker Du
Minor Threat
Replacements
Butthole Surfers
Sonic Youth
Big Black
Fugazi
Mudhoney
Beat Happening
Dinosaur Jr

>Pixies were cool, but were they "indie"? I dont
>think so, they had more influences from US Hardcore etc...

True - Pixies were influenced by many in the list above.

sean