Re: ADK Pro Audio PC VS MacBook Pro

On 7/22/64 11:59 AM, Rafael Nunes wrote:

> As much as I want to want the Mac, I feel like the wise thing is to
> get a PC. Am I crazy?
 From my perspective, and I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as many on
this list (read Per Boysen, Jeff Larson,
Andy Butler, et. al.),  if you have a lot of
money, then I'd go with the new MacBook Pros because you can run
OS X and Win 7 simultaneously using Boot Camp.

This allows you to do your websurfing and email correspondance without
great a great fear of viruses
and then to run whatever audio you want on either OS.

On the down side of purchasing a Mac,  I have these feelings:

I, personally, love VST instruments and, especially, the fact that very
young, out of their bedroom programmers
are continually innovating new sound design strategies in the free/share
ware world.
Currently,  developement of freeware VSTs is running around 20 to 1 (PC
to Mac).

Additionally,  I personally love several programs that not only run
solely on Windows but also
have no true equivalents in the Mac world  (my favorite addiction is
FLStudio producers edition
and then a bunch of proprietary small standalone programs like Tuareg
and Granulab).   I also, personally
just really like the Sony family of programs that used to be Sonic
Foundry.....Sound Forge, Vegas Video,
Acid, et. al.   So I prefer the PC side of things.

But it all comes with a price and that is a lot of working tweaking
things so that your system will run smoothly.
OS X just runs well out of the box.

The downside of all of this is that I don't have a lot of money and the
Mac world is just more of an
upper middle class kind of computing solution.  Peripherals cost more
money and Mac is constantly
figuring out ways to keep people using their stuff  (my headphone jack
just quit working because standard
sized mini plug headphones trip a switch that make the headphone out an
optical out ---- solution:
only buy more expensive Mac peripherals..........that stuff is maddening
to me.

Lastly,   talking to the people at the so called 'Genius Bar'  told me
that they assume that their laptops
will run for 4-5 years,  so be prepared to be buying a MacBook Pro at
that frequency.

I spent $3,500 on mine ,  fully tricked out,  and a vastly better one
was in place within a years' time at
half the price.

To get a pro video card in your MacBook Pro,  be prepared to pay an
extra $600.
Figure that out against the $200 or so it will cost you on a PC laptop.

  Admittedly, I have only an anecdotal horror story with my MacBook Pro--
$4,000 of repairs in 4 years,  covered by the warranty and extra $300
Apple Care 'insurance) but
I know many people who haven't had a single problem with the exact same
model, so I believe
I just have bad karma with Apple............

After all was said and done I figured that I could have purchased two
phenomenal
PC laptops (one off the internet for audio, one on for video and web
browsing) and a very high quality
Video Projector and Screen and still had change in my pocket.      Given
my problems with my
laptop,  I wish I had.

rick walker