Software Looping Technique Question

Hello,

I'm afraid this may be one of the basic available features in
software, but I'm having a hard time getting my head around setting
things up in that world so I'm asking the question:

Is there a way to establish a longish loop (say, 10 seconds plus) and
then have it play back in randomly sampled bits (say a window of
1/10th of the original loop, or 1 second increments).  I would like
ideally to be able to create a long loop, then start it playing this
way (either by pre-determined lengths or determined on the fly) and
then be able to select one of those sample btis to continue as the
only loop playing (with the ability to either discard the original
loop and carry on with this bit, or release it and go back to either
the random looping bits, or the original long loop.

Does that make sense and is it doable in something like Mobius or any
other program that people are aware of?

Thanks,

Kevin

--
Till now you seriously considered yourself to be the body and to have a
form. That is the primal ignorance which is the root cause of all trouble.

- Ramana Maharshi (1879-1950)

Sound and Vision:  http://www.minds-eye.org
Video http://www.vimeo.com/user877640/videos