Re: What is the absolutely Per?

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 1:42 PM, mark francombe <mark@markfrancombe.com>
wrote:
> I too think that Xavier should be doing what HE thinks is best for
> future development of the pedal. Im sure he has the best overview of
> what ALL his users need. Im sure there is virtual screaming for a mac
> editor.
>
> Im not sure either that the solution we have figured out is quite what
> I had in mind, although it does open up lots of possibilities... I
> really want to just set a series of commands to be played in synch
> with my loopers, and this seems very EDP specific, basing it, as it
> does on those rather obscure midi notes that are send on bar and beat.

Definitely EDP specific. For all users of Ableton Live the same task
would be taken care of in a much simpler way: just make a MIDI clip
and fill it with the MIDI events in a timing sequence corresponding to
the series of actions you want executed by triggering that MIDI Clip.
The triggering of the MIDI Clip can be quantized or not.

> If thats the only way, then OK.. but maybe it needs some more thought.
>
> ...and Per, the midi choking you describe is surely only apparent on a
> per-channel basis (that was per-channel, not PerĀ“s channel BTW) If you
> were sending a different type of message on another channel, do you
> think this would exist?

Not so sure about that. The bottle neck is the MIDI Out port - and if
all MIDI channels are going out the same MIDI Out port its gonna be
crowded nevertheless. What we did back in MIDI Sequencing hardware
days was to use MIDI Out interfaces with multiple ports. Maybe four
parallel physical MIDI ports so you could assign outgoing MIDI in a
smart way and distribute the stream over those four lines.

> Certainly when recording pitch bend info, you
> can send waaay too much midi to be recorded properly on one channel.

Software use to offer the option to thin out MIDI data and this
typically affects pitchbend and CC# stuff.

> Im not sure I have noticed OTHER channels content being affected by
> this.. not sure tho... you may be right...

I've never had an issue with that either, but then I don't use any
synced stuff on my pedalboard. The timing critical moment happens on
the receiving end where a looper might be set to quantize incoming
MIDI events.

Per