Re: Re: Why does mainstream seem more like , downstream these days?

On 7/22/64 11:59 AM, Petri Lahtinen wrote:
> Latest love of mine was Rihanna's "Man down".
>
> I've always loved Meredith Monk, Nat King Cole, GG Allin, Exploited,
> Dark Angel etc.
>
> I've never seen the reason to diverse the streams.
>
> There's something good in every stream.
>
> -Petri-
I'm with you there, Petri.

This is what I've come to believe.    If you go to any music genre'
section at a record store these days,
at least 95% of it runs from just mediocre to utter crap.    If you
research, ask around, listen to radio
or even just stumble onto something,  5% of the music out there is
pretty good to fantastic.

Of course, everyone has aesthetics so we may miss some of the good music
out there.
I just don't love bluegrass and mainstream country as an example, so I
probably miss a lot of good music
because I just don't put the energy into finding the 5% that is awesome
in those fields, but I know
it's out there.

My first professional gig of my life as a drummer was with a country
band.   At the time
I thought I hated country music but the guys I played with were such
good musicians and they were so
intelligent and kind that they turned my head around about that large
style.     I saw a Barbara Walters
special where she asked Dolly Parton in her trailer (getting ready to
put on her overblown, glitzy shows
with a huge band) if she ever just let her hair down and played guitar
with no accompaniment.   Dolly
said, 'sure,   I always write my songs with just a guitar" and she sat
down and played "Jolene" and
"Coat of Many Colors" with her impossibly long fake fingernails in front
of Barbara Walters.   It was
just stunning and beautiful.      I went out and bought a Dolly Parton's
greatest hits album at the
end of that first summer of my professional drumming career.  I still
have it to this day on vinyl.

That's my formula  "5% in all genres of music is excellent."   We just
need to ferret it out.

rick walker