RE: Why does mainstream seem more like , downstream these days?

Maybe it is best for a musician to shut up about experimentation and
let the listener decide how to label the produced music?

Bingo!!! my sentiments exactly, when people ask me what kind of music i play, I just smile and say "good music" because quite frankly I'm tired of that question, I think a genre -less world is ultimately a better world, at least i wont be having to describe my music to people hoping I mention a genre they can relate to.
bill