Re: SoftStep vs 1010 vs Boss vs Gordius

I'd give my left nut for an Easy button.

I own both the SoftStep and the Gordious, and thought I would finally have all my problems solved but, well, not yet. Mostly I feel this is because a) I'm dyslexic and the numbers just become too much for me and b) "midi learn" never seems to be fully as implemented as I need... like Echoloop not "hearing" signals through Live, which was one preferred strategy until that one thing stopped me... again. I just can't seem to reach what I have in my head. Yet. Though I have all the tools I need.

Also, the Gordious Mac Editor is over a year late and I keep waiting for a more user friendly software architecture I don't have to borrow a PC for. (Mostly because I don't want to wrestle with a such a difficult thing, then learn it just in time for it to change.) So it has been a very expensive paper weight. I feel the SoftStep suffers from the same issue, but maybe it's just me. However, I will NEVER (having done UI work myself) agree that easy-of-use need be sacrificed for depth-of-function to the degree that these things are. What I wouldn't give for an "Advanced Settings" disclosure triangle so I could ease into the complexity as I advanced my work flow looping system.

I recently paid $100 for a midi consultant to help and basically that amounted to the time it took to properly explain what I wanted it to do and have him tell me, "It's too complicated for me to help you."

And yet, I feel I'm close. At least closer then I've been in a long time. I feel these two pedals in conjunction, once a few kinks are worked out, will have the functionality I need and I like the complementary form factors they give me.

Some day I'm going to work this all out, but sadly I have a feeling it will now be next year as I only get fully immersed in music during the winters and I have video projects lining up. But mostly I'm waiting for the Gordious Mac Editor, which will have the new, still-complex-but-at-least-improved architecture. And Im waiting for Echoloop to work for me in Live---or the spare time and energy to learn Mobious or Super Looper. (I was very impressed by that cello guy recently... simple, straightforward looping [rather then "experimental" which is less my bag, unless applied like pepper--dashes here and there] and yet when I looked at what his system was it changed from one video to the next, [Live on one and Mainstage/Superlooper in another, if I remember correctly] which means he's got TWO adequate systems worked out, which means it's probably me. Though it's a lot more then one instrument I want to loop... it's instant access to everything I want.)

Anyway, apparently I had to vent. Probably not much useful to anyone in all this so I will summarize what might be useful to someone: a) if you're frustrated with the software route you're not alone [no news there really] b) I, having owned and tested both pedals with basic things, do believe that both will eventually live up to their full potential and be "worth it"--after a few specific tweaks [software ease of use for both and reliability/accuracy of the SoftStep] c) I'll add to that my experience with tech support is that SoftStep TechSupport is very good and Gordious, while technically accurate and fast enough replying, seems to generally be much less thorough or interested, a bit terse, and he's been way, way late on delivering. But in fairness, he made sure not to absolutely promise anything when I bought it, it's just his estimates I speak of and  I think he's kind of a one man show so some of that's to be expected. Just letting you know if you should expect less than stellar treatment  (though fair by the letter---certainly less personal) regardless of the high price.

I'm going to throw a party when I finally do get it all worked out. And film a video.

Though I but lurk on and scan on Loopers Delight  these days, I want to say thank you to all of you who bring real, specific advice to the list, particularly the "regulars" like Per, Andy, Todd, and many others. Your time is appreciated for those of us who still have much to work out in our drive to reach our potential.  Thank you.

---Christopher

P.S. If any of you audio looping software gurus out there  lives near Portland Oregon or plans on traveling through and is in need of a left nut.....