Re: Compressor-Sustain Pedal Advice Pigtronix OT

I got the Pigtronix Philosopher King, and I'm a bit unsure about it.
(it's the same compressor as the PT, but adds Attack/Decay/trem)

Do tell, so is it a true ADSR and do the expression pedal ports do anything at all?

A couple of time the sound dripped out completely, or went quiet and distorted, not sure if that's the PK's fault but
going from what Bill says about the construction I wouldn't be surprised.
(no wonder they really stress not to open it up!)

that sounds like that wimpy solderless connector thing happening on the board

Also, there's a nasty click when the pedal is engaged.

thats not good

To me, the controls don't really seem to make the compressor
controllable in any way.
Doesn't seem possible to completely eradicate the 'phut' and the beginning
of the note, especially finger picking low notes.
...but then I've been a "no compression" guy for a number of decades now.

you talking expression pedals or the knobs themselves? again I say compression should be a subtle thing so to avoid the dreaded pumping turn up the input volume, turn down the sustain to between 9 and 10 oclock and bring the blend up to taste,  treble up full, unless your guitar is particularly bright.
 Ok so this brings us to the next issue, lets go out on a limb here and assume it was built in China, so the likely hood of a bad batch of components  potentially effecting an entire run of compressors (assuming its the same basic compressor board in both pigtronix models) is not only possible its quite high actually.  now I feel really guilty for having sung such high praises of this compressor. Yes I think its a better sounding compressor than most on the market but this is very discouraging to hear.
 Bill