Re: Compressor-Sustain Pedal Advice Pigtronix OT

I'm thinking along the same lines.

I got the Pigtronix Philosopher King, and I'm a bit unsure about it.
(it's the same compressor as the PT, but adds Attack/Decay/trem)

Partly, though, the reason I've got it is to get used to what a
guitar compressor does, and what it feels like.
( to help with writing vst plugins)

Am I right in assuming that the Pigtronix units are typical, and a good
example?

It does have problems. If I'm using it with a battery amp, on Bypass
I notice that there's no hum if I remove the psu cable!
( no way should a 'true bypass' be able to introduce hum)
..and the hum is to bad to use the pedal at all.
Perhaps that's the noise problem Mark has, although of course
being in uk I don't have the exact same wall wart.

A couple of time the sound dripped out completely, or went
quiet and distorted, not sure if that's the PK's fault but
going from what Bill says about the construction I wouldn't be surprised.
(no wonder they really stress not to open it up!)

Also, there's a nasty click when the pedal is engaged.

To me, the controls don't really seem to make the compressor
controllable in any way.
Doesn't seem possible to completely eradicate the 'phut' and the beginning
of the note, especially finger picking low notes.
...but then I've been a "no compression" guy for a number of decades now.

I does make for some nice tones tho'.

andy